Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to Colorado FINALLY!
I posted this in the guest room and it doesnt get any traffic so im reposting it here so I can get some feedback. Mods im sorry if this causes any trouble:

Due to the amount of disdain I have for my "home" state of Maryland, we have officially set the wheels in motion to move to America. We have relatives in Loveland, Aurora, and Colorado Springs. We would like to move to either Loveland, Ft Collins, Windsor, or maybe even Cheyenne WY. I loved being in Loveland visiting and hopping right on 34 and heading into RMNP, and the ease of everything. The traffic is nothing compared to fighting Balt-DC-NOVA traffic. Let me tell you that is hell, so im not worried about it. As a couple in our mid 20s with no children, what area would you recommend? I will be looking for a job in Law Enforcement, as I have 5 years on and she has a child care background and soon to have degree in Early Childhood Education. Ill even take a job as security initially or whatever I can get. We are not sure if we will be jumping right into an apartment or staying with her aunt for a bit. But im very interested in your input as you are all already living in America. Absolutely not interested in Denver or "city" life. Ive had enough, and that is the reason for our move.

Thanks!

Edit: I am VERY interested in hunting. I never have before and Im curious where I can hunt near Loveland. I'm also very into looking for reptiles and amphibians to legally collect (or not if its unlawful) and photograph just out of interest. Any recommendations? Warnings? Cool critters? Im a turtle and and snake lover.
Anyone?
I think you'll like the area. Not a hunter really, so can't comment on that. I'm surprised you haven't gotten more responses.
I would think it a tossup between ft collins and loveland , an added bonus to that area is the Pouder river canyon.
Beautiful place with plenty of hiking and camping, and its loaded with moose, the last time we were up that way we saw seven.
I would go Loveland.

Sent from my Samsung Note II
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

If you really want to get further away from "city" life, and you're set on living up north, you might check out all the towns along US 85 and get further away from the I-25 corridor, if you don't mind the additional drive time to various places.

Brighton is pretty much a Denver Metro suburb at this point, but further north, things get more rural until Evans/Greeley then rural again until Cheyenne, WY.

Eaton, Ault, Pierce, Nunn. Etc. Nothing fancy, and some rural style poverty and crime in spots, which might be a driver for your chosen profession. ;)
Thanks guys! Dying to make the move. A year and 4 months left. Its killing me here. Literally. The crime, pollution, bad drivers, and humidity! Not to mention the disgusting toxic seafood.

Do you guys recommend any good restaurants for a newbie in Loveland/Ft Collins?
On the SE corner of Boise and Eisenhower (34) in Loveland is a place with a blue roof called McGraff's. I haven't been there in a few years, but I thought it was pretty good.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

If you can, find jobs before you come! The job market is not that great! Took me 2-1/2 months to find a $9 an hour job and I have a bachelors degree! Money also goes fast out here because things cost more.

Oh and we got bad drivers here too. Idiots that hog the right hand lane and dont let people merge onto the highway and slow poke asswipes that drive 15 mph under the speed limit in the left lane and seem oblivious to everyone else. Jerks that dont use their turn signals and come to a complete stop to turn.
(08-05-2013, 01:18 AM)Audrey Wrote: If you can, find jobs before you come! The job market is not that great! Took me 2-1/2 months to find a $9 an hour job and I have a bachelors degree! Money also goes fast out here because things cost more.

Oh and we got bad drivers here too. Idiots that hog the right hand lane and dont let people merge onto the highway and slow poke asswipes that drive 15 mph under the speed limit in the left lane and seem oblivious to everyone else. Jerks that dont use their turn signals and come to a complete stop to turn.

Take your bad drivers..and add a few hundred thousand more of them, and give them all the Baltimoran entitlement attitude and thats what I face everyday. Yuck! Our lives revolve around it. On a weekday you cant really go anywhere that is a Hwy or major road from ~4pm-6pm unless you wanna get your blood pressure up reeeeaaaaal quick.

Thanks for the tips I appreciate the help. Hopefully with my background and experience ill be able to find employment beforehand.
(08-06-2013, 10:00 AM)Indiana Jones Wrote: Take your bad drivers..and add a few hundred thousand more of them, and give them all the Baltimoran entitlement attitude and thats what I face everyday. Yuck! Our lives revolve around it. On a weekday you cant really go anywhere that is a Hwy or major road from ~4pm-6pm unless you wanna get your blood pressure up reeeeaaaaal quick.

Thanks for the tips I appreciate the help. Hopefully with my background and experience ill be able to find employment beforehand.

Hate to burst your bubble but I-25, I-70, I-76, I-225, 270 and 36 are all like that here too getting in and out of Denver and C-470 on the west side is just as bad. C470 on the east side is a toll road but I dont know how bad it is. Takes an hour plus to get anywhere around Denver. Sidestreets and backstreets are the same ways.
(08-06-2013, 11:41 PM)Audrey Wrote: Hate to burst your bubble but I-25, I-70, I-76, I-225, 270 and 36 are all like that here too getting in and out of Denver and C-470 on the west side is just as bad. C470 on the east side is a toll road but I dont know how bad it is. Takes an hour plus to get anywhere around Denver. Sidestreets and backstreets are the same ways.

Bubble is still intact. Take any major US city and there will be awful traffic. The time ive spent in Denver for work (several weeks over the years) there was traffic and it sucked. But im telling you from experience it doesnt hold a candle to what we have out here and the statistics back it up. It is awful and I will welcome the traffic in CO with open arms. Either way, F maryland and everyone in it. It sucks. Cant wait to be done with city life.

Two major crime ridden cities within 50 miles of each other with thousands of cars all trying to go in every direction between the hours of 6-9 and 3-7. Im so done with it. Yuck
Technically it's not C-470 where it's Toll, it's E-470.

And the plan was that C-470 would be a beltway (as all even numbered sub-number highways are in the Interstate system... 270, 470, 225... Compared to odd number which are spurs into or out of the city... A little Interstate numbering trivia for y'all... But C-470 isn't funded nor a part of the Interstate highway system, it's CDOT funded... They just used the numbering convention...) all the way around the metro, but Boulder and Jefferson County and the city of Golden have blocked the final portion of the loop on the northwest corner for decades now. One of the plans was to blast a tunnel through both North and South Table Mountains to keep it slightly East of Golden. Would have been a pretty cool drive.
Before someone jumps DenverPilot for including 225 on a list of "even numbered" highways, he's referring to the hundreds digit (2 or 4) when he talks about sub-numbers. Loops (which needn't be complete) and spurs both take the number of one of the local 1 or 2 digit highways, but add a hundreds digit. California happens to be running out of usable hundreds digits in some cases (they have an I-980), and might end up going to four digit interstate numbers; I know they've even tended to use spur numbers more than most places do. San Diego contains both I-8 and I-5, so when they built another interstate connecting the two they had the choice of 805 or 508 as numbers that would associate with both highways.
Known as SteveInCO on national fora (changed it here because "in Colorado" is the default).

CZ-75, Glock 20, Mossberg 590, S&W M&P AR-15, PTR-91, DSA FAL, Springfield M1A... and lots of other goodies.
Biggun
Ahh good catch. Wasn't clear on that.
GET ME OUTTA HERE! Petsmart refused to sell me a fish because it was IMMORAL to keep fish in a tank with turtles if the fish wasnt a "feeder fish". Double standards much? Ive kept turtles and cichlids together for YEARS and they get along just fine. My turtles are accustomed to them and are too well fed to want to chase them. This state is OVERWHELMED by liberals.
(08-14-2013, 05:34 AM)Indiana Jones Wrote: GET ME OUTTA HERE! Petsmart refused to sell me a fish because it was IMMORAL to keep fish in a tank with turtles if the fish wasnt a "feeder fish". Double standards much? Ive kept turtles and cichlids together for YEARS and they get along just fine. My turtles are accustomed to them and are too well fed to want to chase them. This state is OVERWHELMED by liberals.

I think I'd have bought a goldfish and swallowed it whole in front of them, just for shock and awe.

What morons.
Went through D.C. a couple of years ago on a business trip, glad that i got to see the sights but unless it's on business I doubt I will ever venture that far east again.
(08-14-2013, 05:34 AM)Indiana Jones Wrote: This state is OVERWHELMED by liberals.

and you want to move to Colorado why? It's owned by Liberals (Senate and the House). what makes you think anything will be different here?
These libertards here are pretty fucking stupid.

I only moved here for two reasons, I was born here and have always loved it, and because of the mountains and it's where I want to spend the rest of my life.

I had to ignore the traffic, the cost of living, the lack of jobs in my career field and the liberal controlled politics in order to get what I wanted, but I was willing to sacrifice.
(08-14-2013, 09:22 PM)Audrey Wrote: and you want to move to Colorado why? It's owned by Liberals (Senate and the House). what makes you think anything will be different here?
These libertards here are pretty fucking stupid.

I only moved here for two reasons, I was born here and have always loved it, and because of the mountains and it's where I want to spend the rest of my life.

I had to ignore the traffic, the cost of living, the lack of jobs in my career field and the liberal controlled politics in order to get what I wanted, but I was willing to sacrifice.

You dont quite understand the east coast. A large portion of my family lives in CO. Your Boulder liberals are conservative compared to sheer amount of literal communists we have here. Come out for a visit, youll die to go back. Why do I want to move? Your traffic is laughable comparatively, the demographics, crime, better schools, and I also want to spend my life in/near the mountains. Beaches suck. WY is also a choice but no family nearby. Trust me, having spent lots of time in CO, and most of my life in MD, the decision os abundantly clear. Ive been living with MD induced BGOS. (Battered Gun Owner Syndrome). I drive out of my suburban neighborhood to the local main road and have to stop to let the methadone clinic people walk across and case houses for burglaries. I also routinely respond to calls for robberies and thefts only to find that theyve escaped on the "Light Rail". (A direct train from south of baltimore, through the city and up into the county and the nice areas). It is the #1 method of transportation for the shitheads. I cant relocate in MD because the entire state sucks. We have an outright 99% ban of ALL "assault weapons". Anything that looks scary is banned. No actual list of qualifying factors. No one can carry unless they have a "good and substantial" reason....which is never good enough. The 98 degree 90% humidity summers. I can keep going. Bottom line is you guys have it great, dont take it for granted. The east coast is rapidly sinking into the ocean of communism.