Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going up Longs Peak in August
my roommate and I and some friends of his are going up Longs Peak next month. We'll hike to the Boulder field and setup camp and sleep till early morning, then get up and make for the summit by sunrise to watch the sun come up over the Rockies and enjoy a little time at the top before heading down.

anyone wants to join, tag along, let me know. The more the merrier. We're going for some time in August. probably mid month.
Sig Sauer P250 .40 S&W sub-compact
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Remington 870 12 ga. pump shotgun
Uncle Mike's Sling Mounts & Hooks | 15 shell sling | 56 shell bandolier | 25 shell belt | 4 chokes | Synthetic Black
10 shot Briley Extension Tube | Plano takedown hardcase

Custom Built AR-15
Surplus Arms & Ammo AR-15 Lower | 5.56 NATO or .223 compatible |
UTG 6 pt adjustable rear stock and buffer spring | Leapers UTG 3x12x44 SWAT Accushot - EZ Tap w/ illuminated reticle |
UTG Adjustable bi-pod | UTG ring scope mounts | Blackthorne 5.56 NATO Upper w/ 20" Bull Varmint Stainless Steel Barrel |
Magpul handguards w/ Delta Ring conventional gas tube setup (no piston) | Chrome Del-ton Bolt Carrier Group | DMPS Charging Handle |
DMPS Trigger | Magpul Trigger Guard | ProMag AR-15/M4 Heavy Duty Recoil Pad | 3 point SWAT Sling and sling hooks |
Nebo Tactical Flashlight and Laser Combo | 3 magpul picatinny rail mounts | Tactical Ergonomic Pistol Grip |
TMS Sling Swivel w/ Base | (20) - 30 round magazines |

Draw
Two spots for Sunday August 11th. Any takers? Backcountry permit has been obtained.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Uncle Mike's Sling Mounts & Hooks | 15 shell sling | 56 shell bandolier | 25 shell belt | 4 chokes | Synthetic Black

Custom Built AR-15
UTG 6 pt adjustable rear stock and buffer spring | Leapers UTG 3x12x44 SWAT Accushot - EZ Tap w/ illuminated reticle |
UTG Adjustable bi-pod | UTG ring scope mounts | Blackthorne 5.56 NATO Upper w/ 20" Bull Varmint Stainless Steel Barrel |
Magpul handguards w/ Delta Ring conventional gas tube setup (no piston) | Chrome Del-ton Bolt Carrier Group | DMPS Charging Handle |
DMPS Trigger | Magpul Trigger Guard | ProMag AR-15/M4 Heavy Duty Recoil Pad | 3 point SWAT Sling and sling hooks |
Nebo Tactical Flashlight and Laser Combo | 3 magpul picatinny rail mounts | Tactical Ergonomic Pistol Grip |

Draw
I would but I have other plans
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

Got one spot left if anyone wants to go. Details have been finalized and our trip is set in stone.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
I have friends that have gone up and I know from what they tell me it's no place for me.

Good luck to you Audrey, be careful !!!
So how did it go? Got any pics to post?
Summit attempt failed. We made mistakes very early on. Our packs were way too heavy. We got to bed late Saturday night before the hike to the Boulder Field. We underestimated the trail based on other's trail reports. Doomed right from the get go. After a GRUELING, and I mean absolutely GRUELING 8 hour hike to the Boulder Field, we setup camp with an hour of daylight left, got dinner, I did a little photography before bed, and then turned in about 9 pm and we slept until 6:30 am. All three of us woke up at the same time, we looked at each other and it was unmistakeable in each of our eyes that we weren't going to summit. But, we talked about it, and all agreed we didn't have the energy nor the focus required to advance to the Keyhole and up to the summit. So, unanimously, we abandoned the rest of the hike up. Packed up and camp and headed down the mountain.

On the hike up, I was halfway up the Staircase of Death (just past treeline) with 65-75 lb pack (estimate, but most likely accurate), and I thought I could go no further. I laid down on a boulder, with my pack still on, stuck my Broncos wool hat between my head the boulder and took a nap. I wanted to turn around right then and there and go back to the car and just sleep. But something inside me kept me pushing on. We battled hail, rain, overweight packs, physical exhaustion and mental fatigue. We didn't get altitude sickness, I was taking gingko biloba and ibuprofen, so I never had the nausea, headache or dizziness or dehydration, but I was beyond physically wasted. I woke from my nap, still lethargic and to exhaustion.

All the pics are here (if you don't have facebook, you can't see 'em)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.514488191954713.1073741857.304311506305717&type=1

here's a few samples of my best.
[Image: 1146793_514488491954683_1090608436_o.jpg]

[Image: 1172354_514488525288013_1756656753_o.jpg]

[Image: 922428_514488531954679_1476175407_o.jpg]

[Image: 1146427_514488575288008_1982303827_o.jpg]

[Image: 1102665_514488688621330_340560831_o.jpg]

[Image: 1091022_514488808621318_347705594_o.jpg]

If I can find the time, we will make another attempt with very light packs this month and do it in a one day push, if not, we'll try it next year once the snow is gone up there. In the meantime, I need some serious extra training. Time to get on my mountain bike and develop some extra endurance/stamina. lol.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
Thanks for the pics and report. With a length of 17 miles roundtrip, and a mile vertical, Longs is one of the more difficult fourteeners. With the experience, you'll certainly be better prepared next time. I've climbed it, although never by backpacking, but just by getting an early start.

My son and I climbed Grays and Torreys a couple of weeks ago. Much easier than Longs. I've bagged 27 fourteeners so far, but this is the first I've done in the last several years.

[Image: 1005320_10201274337214900_429343610_n.jpg]
That's similar story I heard from a friend, part of their party made it to the summit but some didn't.

Must be a tough climb!
Sobering news from Longs Peak :(

http://www.nps.gov/romo/parknews/falling_fatality_on_longs_peak_in_rocky_mountain_national_park_august_15.htm
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
Came up as an error page, what happened Audrey?
strange...when i click the link from facebook it opens. when I copy and paste it in here and then click it says page not found.

anyways,

http://www.nps.gov/romo/parknews/newsreleases.htm

Quote:Falling Fatality on Longs Peak In Rocky Mountain National Park

Date: August 15, 2013

Park rangers received a 911 call shortly after 8:00 a.m. this morning reporting that a 24 year old male fell roughly 150 feet from The Narrows on the Keyhole Route on Longs Peak. Initial reports from bystanders indicated the man suffered multiple traumatic injuries. An off-duty park volunteer was in the area with a radio. He and his climbing party descended to the patient. The man survived the fall but later succumbed to his injuries. The group performed CPR but the man perished.

Park rangers began efforts to recover the man's body using a helicopter. Due to high winds the recovery operation was unable to take place this afternoon. Recovery efforts will take place tomorrow, weather permitting. The man's body will be transferred to the Boulder County Coroner's office. Sections of the Keyhole Route may be temporarily closed during air operations.

The man is from Springfield, Missouri. His name will be released when next of kin are notified.

Ice was present along several locations along the Keyhole Route at the time of the incident.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
damn, a second climber was injured on Longs Peak.

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20130816/NEWS01/308160023/1002/rss?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&nclick_check=1

this guy was roped in and fell about 50 feet, and was then taken off the mountain by rescue personnel.

I feel blessed we got our hike in when we did and that we didn't try to continue on through our exhaustion. After having read both of these, I'm just trembling and shaking uncontrollably.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
Why? Were you unaware of the risks involved or...?

Happens every year. Usually more than once on Long's. Even an "easy" 14er can kill you.

Had a friend involved (first responder) to a 60+ year old lady who was tagged in the head by a boulder the large crowds hiking up Evans knocked loose one day.

One minute you're out taking a nice walk up a 14er, the next you have a head injury a long way away from medical care. Welcome to the backcountry.

Friends from out of State always marvel when they read of someone dying of exposure in June 35 miles from Downtown Denver.
No I was aware of the risks involved, just still scares me that this happened in such close proximity to our hike. It's really sobering how quickly the elements can change, because Sunday/Monday there was no ice or snow up there, and then just this week, there's been ice and snow and now one is dead and the other injured.

crazy stuff.

I'm probably one of the more "aware" people, since i spent a lot of summers here growing up with my aunt and she always took me hiking and climbing, she pounded all this into my head at a young age, so I'm not one to take unnecessary risks or go stupidly up a mountain without the proper equipment, or preparations and at least one other person hiking with me.
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
A few years back there was a guy hiking by himself and got his arm caught under a rock somehow. He was an experienced climber with EMT training that knew what he was doing. He figured he would be there for days before being found so he got out his knife, cut his arm off and hiked out. That would really take something to keep your head together through the blood loss and shock to finish the job, let alone walk out afterward.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

One of the greatest fears politicians have is seeing an angry guy with lots of guns charging down the street, because they know he’s probably on his way to commit an act of voting.

Like I said , it's no place for me!!!
(08-17-2013, 05:32 PM)Highwayman Wrote: A few years back there was a guy hiking by himself and got his arm caught under a rock somehow. He was an experienced climber with EMT training that knew what he was doing. He figured he would be there for days before being found so he got out his knife, cut his arm off and hiked out. That would really take something to keep your head together through the blood loss and shock to finish the job, let alone walk out afterward.

I believe they made a TV movie about it. He also made speaking tours for a while I believe.
(08-17-2013, 11:14 PM)DenverPilot Wrote: I believe they made a TV movie about it. He also made speaking tours for a while I believe.

Different guy. That guy was in Utah. He was hiking in a mini-crevasse when a boulder dislodged during a rainstorm/flash flood and his arm became pinned.

but there was a guy on Longs that cut off his arm too. crazy stuff. I hope I'm never in that situation.

and a beautiful HDR of Longs Peak that I finally processed
[Image: 1097012_1404383069780511_1972869466_o.jpg]
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Custom Built AR-15

Draw
That is a nice shot. Cool.