Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
looking for a .45
Hey all, I wanted to feel things out. I am looking for my next purchase. I want a .45 that I can carry day to day, but also something I can use for competition. Any thoughts??
One shot, One kill
I'm really enjoying my Springfield XDS. Some folks have reported problems with them but after two failure to return to battery and two failure to fires, early in the round count when I was running it too dry, it's operated flawlessly.

The issues I had I chalk up to me, not the firearm. Some folks however have reported more difficult trouble with a few and some questionable support from Springfield. "Put 100 rounds through it, no problem found" kinda stuff. Not the majority.

I'd put at least 500 rounds through one before making it an EDC. Additionally with the grip safety it's not a "grab it badly and shoot from any hold" gun, just like anything with a grip safety. You need to practice unholstering it with a firm grip on it, high on the tang of the pistol, like any grip safetied firearm.

But for size and that it's a little mule kicker in .45 ACP, I like it a lot. Getting better shooting it, too. It's not exactly a long-range target pistol without plenty of practice and a steady hand.

Only downside is that they didn't do a factory option for night sights. The fiber optic front sight is great in good lighting and piss poor in low light, but most self-defense shooting is at close range and almost point shooting.

And of course, any of the small light framed 1911 pistols are always an option, if you're willing to train with it cocked and locked and to flip the safety off when pointed downrange after unholstering.
I am currently carrying a CW 9. I like the size so the XDS is an option. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Sig 250 in .45. The price is right and Sig has a great rep??
One shot, One kill
Glock fan here. I would say glock 30 for ccw or 21 for open carry. I would also recommend the fn pistols as well. I have a fnp tac I really like but it's a combat pistol although I do open carry in a galco fletch holster.
NRA instructor
$50 concealed carry classes
http://www.cogunowners.com/showthread.php?tid=1704 Click for information
Another vote for the XDs. I just got some Tritium HD night sights installed. Also put on the Pearce extension grip and PRP rubber grips. Going to the range this weekend -- can't wait to test out the new setup.
"Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
I'm going to try the Talon grips on mine.

PRP and Talon both make nice stuff, but I have to go with the Home Team. Talon is based in Colorado.

At the end of the day, it's just bling anyway.

As many have pointed out, a couple of bucks for a bicycle tube and a half hour with an Xacto knife, you have essentially the same thing. Just might not look as pretty.

But if function is what you're after vs form, it'd work just as well.

I just like the look of the precision cut ones from either vendor.

What do you think of the pinky extensions? I honestly shoot it better with the five round mag and my pinky not even on the grip, than I do with the larger seven round mag. I've tracked it for about 500 rounds or so. Maybe 600.

I don't think I'll bother with the pinky extension on the five rounders, but would be interested in trying them out without purchasing them if I ever run into someone with their mag already decked out.

I know, they're cheap. I should just try 'em.

Any recommendations on a good local gunsmith to put night sights on them? I don't feel like scratching the thing up attempting it. Also can't decide which ones. None of them really feel like they're truly made for the XDS, they're XD stuff, re tasked. They hang off a little or look too tall on top from all the photos and videos I've looked at.

(Sorry, I could start another thread for these XDS specific questions if folks don't want to have them in this thread...)
I bought and got the sights installed from James:
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/xd-hs2000/Sight_Instalation.html

I just got the slide back a couple of days ago, so I haven't been to the range, yet. I have 3 magazines now as well; the 5 rd, extended 7 rd and another 5 rd with the Pearce pinky extension. I'll report back how I did with all three magazines. I just put the PRP grips on recently, so this will be an entirely new setup for me that I haven't tried yet.

Here's a quick pic that I took last night. I'll have to try to get a better pic of the sights at some point.

[Image: XDs1.jpg]
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Be interesting to see what you think. I'm also thinking about the extended grip safety from PRP. It looks like it'd help in weak grip situations, which certainly can come up in defensive situations. Training to grab the thing hard and correctly is the best, but that little button sticking out on the safety extension could help too. Can't decide.

If I were made of money I might just get a second XDS to mess with, including the PRP trigger kit. One gun to trust and one to mess with to see if anything out there makes it better... :)
(02-20-2013, 09:22 PM)Ozzy Wrote: I am currently carrying a CW 9. I like the size so the XDS is an option. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Sig 250 in .45. The price is right and Sig has a great rep??

I love sigs as i carry a p229 in .40 but my brother has the p250 and to say the least neither of us are impressed with it. Sights are still off recoil is rediculous for a. 40. And had to send it in to sig to be fixed all within a couple hundred rounds. Custom service was great but this was not one of their better endevors. Stick with a traditional sig if you go that route.
I appreciate that. i think I should just get a small 1911??
One shot, One kill
Just have to realize once you start into 1911's, it's an addiction and can get pricey. :-)
Difficult to hold it to one.....or two.....or......
But they are worth it? Right?
One shot, One kill
Another skeptic of the p250. I think it's an interesting idea, being able to swap everything over from caliber, frame size, barrel length, etc. But it's a DAO, which is a compromise I don't like, and I'd rather just have another gun for the cost of all the parts.

If I were buying a 45 for cold weather carry AND competition, it would either be a full size (xdm or p220) or something *slightly* smaller. Or, a 1911 (the SA Range Officer specifically)
Don't know if youve found a 45 yet - if not id look at a xd
Single stack. Great gun. Very accurate. I have both the 7 rd Mag's and a few Pearce mag extensions for the stock 5 founders. Rapidly becoming my favorite weapon.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Picking up my new kimber pro carry 2 tomorrow. I would look into getting a decent 1911 if you are wanting to do some competition as well. You can always start with a base Springfield or Remington if you can't do one from member or a higher model from the others.
I have a xdm 45 in 3.8 and love it. I had the xds and its too small for me. plus only holds 7rds for extended mag. I use the regular xdm mag (9rds) for carry and the extended mag (13rds) for comp.
(03-16-2013, 08:09 PM)Ozzy Wrote: But they are worth it? Right?

In my humble opinion, definitely. Have an xds and like it and several other pistols but nothing is as enjoyable or as accurate as my 1911's. Surprisingly, in my hands the 4" is as accurate as the 5 ", and easier to carry concealed. Maybe that is a result of my aging eyes.....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
OK, it took long enough, but I am picking up my new H&K USP compact .45 on friday. I like that it is DA SA and still small enough to CC.

Any thoughts?
One shot, One kill
(03-01-2013, 01:27 AM)DenverPilot Wrote: Be interesting to see what you think. I'm also thinking about the extended grip safety from PRP. It looks like it'd help in weak grip situations, which certainly can come up in defensive situations. Training to grab the thing hard and correctly is the best, but that little button sticking out on the safety extension could help too. Can't decide.

If I were made of money I might just get a second XDS to mess with, including the PRP trigger kit. One gun to trust and one to mess with to see if anything out there makes it better... :)

I thought I should follow up on this comment. I did get the PRP trigger kit but didn't like it. It made it WAY too easy to pull trigger. I ended up going back to the original trigger. In a defensive situation, your adrenaline is already going to be flowing and with that adrenaline, it would be dangerous, IMO, to have the trigger be depressed that easily. Even with just practice plinking at the range with no adrenaline, I was not comfortable with how light the trigger pull was.

If you like the "just blow on it to make it fire" trigger feel, then the PRP trigger kit is definitely for you. Definitely not for me. I'm glad I tried it out. It made me appreciate how good the stock trigger really is.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
(07-30-2014, 12:46 PM)lnferno Wrote: I thought I should follow up on this comment. I did get the PRP trigger kit but didn't like it. It made it WAY too easy to pull trigger. I ended up going back to the original trigger. In a defensive situation, your adrenaline is already going to be flowing and with that adrenaline, it would be dangerous, IMO, to have the trigger be depressed that easily. Even with just practice plinking at the range with no adrenaline, I was not comfortable with how light the trigger pull was.

If you like the "just blow on it to make it fire" trigger feel, then the PRP trigger kit is definitely for you. Definitely not for me. I'm glad I tried it out. It made me appreciate how good the stock trigger really is.

Good info. Thanks for the follow up.