Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold Prospecting
Anyone done any gold prospecting here in Colorado? I just recently got started. Bought a prospecting kit from Dick's Sporting Goods with 2 pans, a classifier (sifts big rocks from gravel), a couple of small bottles, magnifying glass and a couple other oddball things, cost like $30.
Couple of weeks ago I bought a sluice that lays in the water and you shovel material on it and the water sifts the gold out.
Also have been doing some hand panning. My first panful got me a small chunk of gold. Handed it to my daughter and she promptly lost it. Oh well.
Went out with the sluice once but didn't find anything. Plan on trying to get out at least once a week, weather permitting. With gold at around $1700 an ounce, I figure if I can find an ounce a month, I'll be sitting pretty.
Anyone else given it a try?
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
John F. Kennedy
I've thought about it a bunch but never tried to do it. Seems last time I was in the Boulder canyon over the summer I saw a bunch of flake in the river bed. Nothing that looked like it would pan out though. Happy hunting!
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(12-15-2012, 11:01 PM)Beau Wrote: I've thought about it a bunch but never tried to do it. Seems last time I was in the Boulder canyon over the summer I saw a bunch of flake in the river bed. Nothing that looked like it would pan out though. Happy hunting!

Be careful in Boulder County. From what I hear and have read, they like to confiscate your gear, even though state law clearly states you have the right to prospect. Not sure what their thinking is or if they have some legal way around state law, but most think they are in the wrong. I just don't do it there. Lots of other places to prospect.
Just went up today in Jeffco Open Space and it was cold and windy. Ended up bring some material back to pan at home.
You should give it a try. The expense to start is minimal and its a good way to get out and away for a while.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
John F. Kennedy
(12-15-2012, 11:27 PM)Springfielder Wrote: Be careful in Boulder County. From what I hear and have read, they like to confiscate your gear, even though state law clearly states you have the right to prospect. Not sure what their thinking is or if they have some legal way around state law, but most think they are in the wrong. I just don't do it there. Lots of other places to prospect.
Just went up today in Jeffco Open Space and it was cold and windy. Ended up bring some material back to pan at home.
You should give it a try. The expense to start is minimal and its a good way to get out and away for a while.

Oh now ya done it. First place I would hit now is Boulder county. After I checked up on the laws of course. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Good reason to get out and get some exercise.
When in doubt. JFC.

(12-16-2012, 11:31 PM)Beau Wrote: Oh now ya done it. First place I would hit now is Boulder county. After I checked up on the laws of course. Maybe I'll give it a shot. Good reason to get out and get some exercise.

Let me know how it goes if you give it go. I've often thought of just doing it and seeing what shakes out but when cops and I get together and I know I'm right, my mouth usually takes a wide left turn and gets me into trouble.xmad

Here is a link that may interest you.
http://goldstrikecoloradoprospecting.blogspot.com/2011/07/peoples-republic-of-boulder-and.html
John F. Kennedy
Interesting site. Sounds like there needs to be a test case. Are you up for it?
When in doubt. JFC.

(12-18-2012, 09:59 AM)Beau Wrote: Interesting site. Sounds like there needs to be a test case. Are you up for it?

I would like to shut them down and make them stop creating their own "laws", but if they were to prevail, I wouldn't have the money for fines or even a lawyer.
Being unemployed does that to a guy.
John F. Kennedy
Springfielder I would like to read up dates on how your doing with this. I have been interested in doing the same thing lately but doubt my wife would support another hobby of mine.
(12-21-2012, 09:49 PM)weaponize Wrote: Springfielder I would like to read up dates on how your doing with this. I have been interested in doing the same thing lately but doubt my wife would support another hobby of mine.

I'll let you know.
Tell your wife it isn't expensive to get started. You can just start with a pan for like $15. It's something do with the family too.
John F. Kennedy
I recently picked up a White Gold Master II, two sluice boxes, pans, etc... after loaning money to my dead beat brother, have not had the chance to learn how to use them, but I sure would like to. So if anyone is up to taking along a newbie, please give me a shout. We have been interested in getting some higher end metal detectors and start a new hobby, from what we have seen, White has some very nice equipment. Any of you do any metal detecting?
(01-13-2013, 08:00 AM)traversing Wrote: I recently picked up a White Gold Master II, two sluice boxes, pans, etc... after loaning money to my dead beat brother, have not had the chance to learn how to use them, but I sure would like to. So if anyone is up to taking along a newbie, please give me a shout. We have been interested in getting some higher end metal detectors and start a new hobby, from what we have seen, White has some very nice equipment. Any of you do any metal detecting?

I used to have a basic metal detector when I was a kid. I remember finding all kinds of stuff at the local park. I would also like to get back into it along with panning.

Maybe this summer we can plan a COGO event to treasure hunt.
When in doubt. JFC.

Been prospecting for a few months now. Still trying to find good places to go. Joined the Gold Prospectors Assn. of America and the local chapter, so I'm finding out about a lot more places to go. A lot of the local gold clubs have their own claims that you can work anytime you want.
Clear Creek between Broadway and Washington (just south of 70th Ave. in Adams County) produces small gold regularly. Clear Creek on the way to BlackHawk on Hwy. 6 produces some, but not much. I've heard that Clear Creek between Federal and Pecos is also producing small gold that can be panned and sluiced.
Prospecting has a learning curve. I probably have thrown out as much as I've found, by not knowing exactly what I was doing or looking at.
I talked to one member of the local GPAA chapter and he said he found 5 ounces in 6 months last year. But he worked it like a real job of 5 days and 40 hours per week. He wouldn't give up his "honey holes" though.
It is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. I still go a few times per week, weather permitting.
Stay out of Boulder County unless you are on federal land. The City of Wheat Ridge has now pretty much outlawed prospecting there also.
John F. Kennedy
been contemplating but dont know much about it. I would think up the higher elevations would yield much more steady results.

gonna have to do some research.
Sig Sauer P250 .40 S&W sub-compact
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Remington 870 12 ga. pump shotgun
Uncle Mike's Sling Mounts & Hooks | 15 shell sling | 56 shell bandolier | 25 shell belt | 4 chokes | Synthetic Black
10 shot Briley Extension Tube | Plano takedown hardcase

Custom Built AR-15
Surplus Arms & Ammo AR-15 Lower | 5.56 NATO or .223 compatible |
UTG 6 pt adjustable rear stock and buffer spring | Leapers UTG 3x12x44 SWAT Accushot - EZ Tap w/ illuminated reticle |
UTG Adjustable bi-pod | UTG ring scope mounts | Blackthorne 5.56 NATO Upper w/ 20" Bull Varmint Stainless Steel Barrel |
Magpul handguards w/ Delta Ring conventional gas tube setup (no piston) | Chrome Del-ton Bolt Carrier Group | DMPS Charging Handle |
DMPS Trigger | Magpul Trigger Guard | ProMag AR-15/M4 Heavy Duty Recoil Pad | 3 point SWAT Sling and sling hooks |
Nebo Tactical Flashlight and Laser Combo | 3 magpul picatinny rail mounts | Tactical Ergonomic Pistol Grip |
TMS Sling Swivel w/ Base | (20) - 30 round magazines |

Draw
any other luck Springfielder?
Sig Sauer P250 .40 S&W sub-compact
Trijicon night sights
(3) 10 round magazines.

Remington 870 12 ga. pump shotgun
Uncle Mike's Sling Mounts & Hooks | 15 shell sling | 56 shell bandolier | 25 shell belt | 4 chokes | Synthetic Black
10 shot Briley Extension Tube | Plano takedown hardcase

Custom Built AR-15
Surplus Arms & Ammo AR-15 Lower | 5.56 NATO or .223 compatible |
UTG 6 pt adjustable rear stock and buffer spring | Leapers UTG 3x12x44 SWAT Accushot - EZ Tap w/ illuminated reticle |
UTG Adjustable bi-pod | UTG ring scope mounts | Blackthorne 5.56 NATO Upper w/ 20" Bull Varmint Stainless Steel Barrel |
Magpul handguards w/ Delta Ring conventional gas tube setup (no piston) | Chrome Del-ton Bolt Carrier Group | DMPS Charging Handle |
DMPS Trigger | Magpul Trigger Guard | ProMag AR-15/M4 Heavy Duty Recoil Pad | 3 point SWAT Sling and sling hooks |
Nebo Tactical Flashlight and Laser Combo | 3 magpul picatinny rail mounts | Tactical Ergonomic Pistol Grip |
TMS Sling Swivel w/ Base | (20) - 30 round magazines |

Draw