Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mosin Nagants
Is anyone into Mosin Nagants?
I have two. A 1940 M91/30 and a 1944 M44. I bought them at Big 5 really cheap and they ended up both being VERY cool guns. They both fire well and kick like mules.
I'm still trying to learn more about them (just general knowledge).
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
John F. Kennedy
I think everyone should have a Mosin in their collection. Unfortunately I don't. I keep telling myself that I won't always be this broke.....
Smileak
I want one but I've been putting it off. Just have a few other thing that are a little higher on the list. Though i hope I don't wait around till the price goes up like I did with SKSs.
I don't have one, but Ive been looking into getting one. I'm embarrassed to say Ive worked across from a Big 5 for several years now, and never thought to venture in there. I was under the impression they were all about skiing and winter sports.

Ill have to check it out tomorrow.
I've never fired a Mosin, but that doesn't mean I don't want one :D I'd like to acquire a few more pistols and build an AR before I get into surplus rifles. Now, if I find an awesome deal on a Garand first, I'll make an exception.
(05-28-2010, 11:23 PM)Storm Wrote: I don't have one, but Ive been looking into getting one. I'm embarrassed to say Ive worked across from a Big 5 for several years now, and never thought to venture in there. I was under the impression they were all about skiing and winter sports.

Don't feel so bad I have never been in a Big 5 either. Did you check it out?
Smileak
(06-01-2010, 09:21 AM)Lead Junkie Wrote:
(05-28-2010, 11:23 PM)Storm Wrote: I don't have one, but Ive been looking into getting one. I'm embarrassed to say Ive worked across from a Big 5 for several years now, and never thought to venture in there. I was under the impression they were all about skiing and winter sports.

Sure did! I even got their last one. Although, the guy in front of me took the last box of ammo, so ill have to make a Gander run before i can shoot it.
(06-05-2010, 12:37 AM)Storm Wrote:
(06-01-2010, 09:21 AM)Lead Junkie Wrote:

Sure did! I even got their last one. Although, the guy in front of me took the last box of ammo, so ill have to make a Gander run before i can shoot it.

Hey, congratulations!!
I think you'll be very happy with your new Mosin.
Couple of things I ran into with both of mine. First, clean the flying frisbee out of it. They have usually been in storage for quite a while. Second, you will find cosmoline turned into varnish on the bolt and all surfaces that interact with the bolt.
First I wiped everything down with cleaning solvent, dried it and then used paint thinner. Cleaned up pretty good.
If when you take it to the range and fire it a few times, the bolt is sticky, you haven't cleaned well enough. Take a rag with you when you go to the range and wipe the parts down while the gun is hot. This will help remove more of the varnished cosmoline. Then when you get it home, clean with the paint thinner again.
I ran across this site after I went through all the trial an error on my own. This can give you some more info http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu23.htm
Good luck with your Mosin.
Get ready to be kicked!! Hold it close and tight until you are used to it!
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
John F. Kennedy
Congrats. Be sure to give us a range report when you can.
Smileak
I read an article in the new Shooting Times yesterday.
It appears the 91/30 Mosin-Nagant is much more accurate if you fire it with the bayonet on. I have heard this before, but never tried it.
Going out on Sunday to check this out.
I don't understand why this would make a difference though. The only thing I can think of is that the extra weight on the barrel has some effect.
John F. Kennedy
(12-24-2010, 11:45 AM)Springfielder Wrote: I read an article in the new Shooting Times yesterday.
It appears the 91/30 Mosin-Nagant is much more accurate if you fire it with the bayonet on. I have heard this before, but never tried it.
Going out on Sunday to check this out.
I don't understand why this would make a difference though. The only thing I can think of is that the extra weight on the barrel has some effect.

Honestly that sounds like something the Brady bunch would say. "And see this, gun nuts put this knife thing on there to make it shoot more accurate so they can kill more people!" Kinda like when that anti lady said that a barrel shroud enabled the assault rifle to fire more rounds because it kept the barrel cool..
Smileak
Recently went to 5280 Armory. Picked up 440 rounds of 7.62x54 for my Mosins for $99. Thats 22.5 cents per round. They have these deals on and off all the time. Google 5280 Armory and then click on specials on the left hand side of the page.
John F. Kennedy
That is a pretty good deal. Did you by chance pay with a credit card? If so were there any extra charges?
Smileak
Going to check the page now..Thanks.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

I LOVE these guns.
I now have 3 Mosins and they're all GREAT fun guns! Everyone should have AT LEAST one in their collection.
I have the 91/30, M44 and M38 and they all kick like mad mules! lol
But that doesn't stop the wife and daughter from taking over ownership on 2 of my 3 mosins. lol
The wife took the 91/30 as her own and the kid took the M38. Which is fine by me because the M44 is cooler IMO. ;)

As for the accuracy being better with the bayo on or off..... That's mostly misunderstood legend.
It stems from the guns being sighted in with the bayos attached so when they're sent out to the soldiers in the field they're ready to rock and roll. But it does hold more truth with the M44's since the bayo's are an integral part of the gun. It's supposed to have something to do with the harmonics of the barrel with and without the bayo extended.
Of course this is just my personal observations mixed with some reading and other peoples input. So take it as you will.

Lot's of good info here http://7.62x54r.net/ if you want a lot of good experience with these babys. ;)
If anyone is going to buy one from Big 5 just let me know and I can give you a few things to check to make sure you're getting a decent shooter.
I've got one. They are very cool to shoot. Years ago I got a Curio and Relic FFL. Not sure who already knows about these licenses, but it sure allows for a whole new aspect of gun collecting.
I had my FFL for about 2 years and only purchased 2 guns... so I let it expire, but if you are into collecting these old timers like Mosin's you should look into it.

Maybe a topic for another thread and I can tell you what I know about it.
I've always avoided getting a C&R for the simple reason that the 30 dollar license fee would wind up costing me thousands of dollars in the end. :-/
It would be like a license to buy WAY too many toys! lol
(03-16-2011, 08:20 PM)Lead Junkie Wrote: That is a pretty good deal. Did you by chance pay with a credit card? If so were there any extra charges?

Yes. 5280 does charge 3% for using a credit card. But most of their stuff is cheaper than other places and even with the 3%, you are still saving. Especially when you pick up the sales items like ammo.
Or just take cash, don't think they take personal checks.
3% on $100 is only $3 more, so when you are picking up ammo for 20 cents or so a round, it's doesn't really add up to much more out of pocket.
John F. Kennedy
(05-08-2011, 12:50 PM)Springfielder Wrote:
(03-16-2011, 08:20 PM)Lead Junkie Wrote: That is a pretty good deal. Did you by chance pay with a credit card? If so were there any extra charges?

Yes. 5280 does charge 3% for using a credit card.
I was just wondering because not only is it against Visa policy for merchants to charge extra to CC users; in Colorado it is against the law.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.