Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Me Find My Ranch/Retreat
OK CGO'ers, if you were going to pull up stakes and purchase a big a$$ piece of land to build a self sufficient ranch/retreat upon which you could weather in comfort any coming economic Armageddon, where would you go to do it?

I'm in the searching process right now. My wish list for the land includes:

- Good growing season and fertile ground
- Suitable climate for fruit trees
- Merchantable timber, which I can also use for my own building purposes and heating
- Lots of water; springs, artesian wells, fishable river/stream.
- Good hunting on the property
- Low property taxes
- liberal zoning requirements

I plan on buying the land within the next year. Of course there's always the popular choices of Oregon, Idaho, and Montana for doing something like this, but I'm also finding myself drawn to other parts of the country too. IE, recently the Green Mountains of Vermont.

So, give me your thoughts, suggestions. If I end up getting a big enough piece of land I may even invite you and yours to come join me and mine in this journey.

Arkansas Ozarks. Wyoming. Lots of land in Eastern CO but spots with trees are hard to come by. Honestly there are a lot of places that have sufficient resources. I think the main concern is how defensible your property is and do you have enough people to defend it. Being self sustaining only works if you can hold on to your resources.

Where I'm at I have plenty of trees. The soil isn't great but it is workable. Plenty of wildlife but that could deplete fast from others who have nothing else to eat and rely on hunting only. Water is the biggest issue. I need to get a hand pump installed because if for some reason I lose access to power there are no above ground water sources for miles. The one thing I do have is enough people that if needed I can set up roving guards and around the clock watches.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.

(11-03-2012, 05:51 PM)Beau Wrote: Arkansas Ozarks. Wyoming. Lots of land in Eastern CO but spots with trees are hard to come by. Honestly there are a lot of places that have sufficient resources. I think the main concern is how defensible your property is and do you have enough people to defend it. Being self sustaining only works if you can hold on to your resources.

Where I'm at I have plenty of trees. The soil isn't great but it is workable. Plenty of wildlife but that could deplete fast from others who have nothing else to eat and rely on hunting only. Water is the biggest issue. I need to get a hand pump installed because if for some reason I lose access to power there are no above ground water sources for miles. The one thing I do have is enough people that if needed I can set up roving guards and around the clock watches.

I've thought about the the Ozarks, but then you have to be concerned about the new madrid.

Water is huge. It's top of my list on importance. I'd love to stay in Colorado, but it's so dang high and dry. Unless you lucked out and found Cable's "Water where there weren't none."

[Image: the-ballad-of-cable-hogue.jpg?1289436739]

I'm looking at location in regards to proximity to major traffic routes, local population density, and distance from high population areas. Those are factors that will make defense easier, and also ensure lighter impact on the wildlife resources.

(11-03-2012, 08:40 PM)FastMan Wrote: I've thought about the the Ozarks, but then you have to be concerned about the new madrid.

Water is huge. It's top of my list on importance. I'd love to stay in Colorado, but it's so dang high and dry. Unless you lucked out and found Cable's "Water where there weren't none."

[Image: the-ballad-of-cable-hogue.jpg?1289436739]

I'm looking at location in regards to proximity to major traffic routes, local population density, and distance from high population areas. Those are factors that will make defense easier, and also ensure lighter impact on the wildlife resources.
You gotta figure though that if it's SHTFTEOTWAWKIOMGWTFBBQ there are a LOT of people that have the necessary skills to survive in a wilderness environment. There will be people that know how to camp and hunt heading for the hills which will have a very hard impact on available game. My point is ,and I'm more stating this for others reading this than you, is that you can't rely on natural resources for very long. You need to have your own captive renewable food supply.
Where can you carry? Check the editable COGO Carry Map
When in doubt. JFC.